SENSE project: sexual diversity in vocational training (My-ID)
The SENSE project aims to integrate sexual diversity sensitivity (a welcoming attitude to LGBTI clients) in VET studies in the social domain. The SENSE project develops 4 products to secure optimal integration of sexual diversity sensitivity in social domain VET courses:
- A trigger performance by students, which creates enthusiasm and interest
- A teacher training, which improves the pedagogic competences of VET teachers
- A curriculum consultancy manual, which provides guidance on how to structurally integrate sexual diversity sensitivity in a spiral course curriculum
- A competence framework, which describes the needed diversity competences of VET students
The public title of the education modules will be: "My ID, my idea to be myself". The project will run from January 2019 until May 2021.
Sexual Diversity in Vocational Training
The SENSE project (Vocation and Sexual Sensitivity - Sexual Diversity in Social Domain Vocational Training) aims to integrate sexual diversity sensitivity (a welcoming attitude to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender clients and clients with an intersex condition; LGBTI) in VET studies in the social domain. Such a welcoming attitude is part of a wider complex of diversity skills.
Except in the Netherlands, little research or work has been done on sexual diversity in VET institutions. More general studies show a relatively high level of intolerance towards LGBTI people. Studies also show that lower educated people are less tolerant of LGBTI people than others. This is a serious concern in the VET social domain, where students are trained to take care of an increasing number of elderly or disabled LGBTI people who have emancipated over a number of years and do not want to go back in the closet when they become dependent on the care of others.
The SENSE project develops 4 products to secure optimal integration of sexual diversity sensitivity in social domain VET courses:
- Discussion triggers made by students. Manual on how to facilitate such a student participation proces: English, Greek, Italian, Spanish, Dutch. Here are the trigger videos students developed: ROC van Amsterdam (Netherlands, Amsterdam), Fra Luca Pacioli (Italy, Tuscany), Euroform (Italy, Sicily), EUROTraining (Greece, Athens). The Dutch students also developed a Question & Answer website for VET students: GIN-GEN.com
- A teacher training, which improves the pedagogic competences of VET teachers. Training manual: English, Greek, Italian, Spanish, Dutch; and a background reader: English, Greek, Italian, Spanish, Dutch.
- A curriculum consultancy manual, which provides guidance on how to structurally integrate sexual diversity sensitivity in a spiral course curriculum (English, Greek, Italian, Spanish, Dutch)
- A competence framework, which describes the needed diversity competences of VET students and which will function both as an underlying model for the other products, and as tool for discussion with the aim to improve the formal competence frameworks in the participating countries and regions. Framework for student's competences: English, Greek, Spanish, Italian, Dutch. Framework for teacher's competences: English, Greek, Spanish, Italian, Dutch.
Partners and participants
The project has 9 formal partners. GALE (Netherlands/international), CESIE (south Italy), Villa Montesca (middle Italy), EUROTrainers (Greece) and DEFOIN (Spain) develop the products and test them in local VET institutions. In the Netherlands, the Regional VET Centre of Amsterdam (ROC van Amsterdam) is a full partner because of its extensive experience with diversity in an extremely multicultural city. Finally, EfVET (the European forum of technical and Vocational Education and Training) coordinates the dissemination and discussion on the European level. In Palermo, Euroform VET training is involved, and in mid-Italy, the schools Città di Pietro was involved as a formal partner and Fra Luca Paciolo as an associated partner.
The project partners start with a training by GALE, needs assessments and the development of the products. These are partly based on experiences of the Dutch partners. In the school year 2019-2020, the SENSE pathway is implemented: students perform in trigger theatre plays or present and discuss video's they made, a teacher training is given the partners develop in a few sessions a spiral curriculum with the VET course. A few of the lessons from the spiral curriculum are tested in practice. In total, about 700 students, teachers, manager and other stakeholders will be involved in these activities.
In the last months of the school year, the experiences are evaluated. The products are reviewed, produced and disseminated among approximately 158,000 people. The products - and especially the competence framework - are discussed by national and international stakeholders. The project aims to get commitment to include sexual diversity sensitivity in the formal qualification frameworks for VET students and as a logical topic to be taken in consideration on the European level. To further enhance the sustainability of the SENSE method, the partners develop a marketing plan and a view to up scaling the method to other domains.
- Leaflet for interested VET courses who want to participate
- Leaflet for interested VET students
- Report of the European expert meeting 18 May 2021
- Report on the Dutch presentation of the project in ROC van Amsterdam, 18 May 20121
- Scientific article on the My-ID method in "Transformative education"
- Impact research report
- Subscribe to the My-ID Newsletter or unsubscribe.
- My-ID Newsletter 1, September 2019
- My-ID Newsletter 2, December 2019
- My-ID Newsletter 3, August 2020
- My-ID Newsletter 4, February 2021
- My-ID Newsletter 5, May 2021
General information on the project can be followed on:
- The Facebook page Teaching My-ID
- The general GALE.info website and GALE_info twitter account (messages also visible on GALE website homepage)
- There is a closed My-ID Facebook group and a closed email exchange list for project participants. If you are participating in the project, you can ask to be on this FB-group or on the mailing list by mailing email@example.com. Participants who want to unregister from the mailing list can do this here.
- 30-3-2021: Presentation of new method for LGBTI sensitivity in VET (for Spanish and French version, click when your are on the English version on "ES" or "FR"
- 2-4-2021: Mijn-ID in het ROC van Amsterdam
- 2-11-2021: Poster presentation on the SENSE project during the World Anti Bullying Conference (Stockholm)
This project is co-financed by the European Erasmus+ KA2 program. The European Commission support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents which reflects the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.